Access to Justice Commission announces 2022 Pro Bono Expansion Grants
July 14, 2022 (MONTGOMERY, Ala.) –
The Alabama Access to Justice Commission recognized the recipients of $507,000 in 2022 Pro Bono Expansion Grants at the Annual Meeting of the Alabama State Bar, held June 22-25. The grants help support the work of state Volunteer Lawyer Programs and other programs that strive to ensure equal access to justice for all of Alabama’s citizens, regardless of income.
The Alabama Access to Justice Commission was created by the Alabama Supreme Court in April 2007 to serve as a coordinating entity for the legally underserved, the legal community, social service providers, and the private and public sectors. The 19-member commission comprises a wide-range of citizens representing the legal profession, educational administration, the business sector, and volunteers. The commission’s mission is to improve ways that Alabama citizens, especially those who are vulnerable and those with low incomes, can find effective and economical civil legal services.
ATJC Pro Bono Expansion Grant recipients for 2022 are:
• Alabama State Bar Volunteer Lawyers Program – $68,000
• South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program – $55,500
• Madison County Volunteer Lawyers Program – $$68,000
• Legal Services Alabama, for The Rural Justice Expansion Project – $68,000
• Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution, Inc., for the Alabama First Landlord Tenant Access to Justice Mediation Program – $68,000
• South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program/Alabama Bankruptcy Assistance Project – $33,500
• Montgomery County Bar Foundation, for the Montgomery County Pro Bono Clinic Expansion Project – $68,000
• Faulkner Law Public Interest Program – $10,000
• Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham, for Pandemic Recovery Program – $68,000
The Alabama Law Foundation and the Alabama Access to Justice Commission share a commitment to providing access to the legal system to low-income Alabama citizens. The Alabama Law Foundation is focused on providing grants to entities that provide civil legal aid; the Alabama Access to Justice Commission is focused on bringing together entities that share a commitment to the issue of access to justice so that they may work together collaboratively towards justice for all Alabama citizens. The Alabama Law Foundation provides staff and administrative management support for the Alabama Access to Justice Commission.